Friday, June 4, 2010

Encouragement


This time last year I was hosting some friends of mine from out of the country. They came to NY for a month to be a part of my graduation, ordination and wedding. They are some very special people to me.

I've been thinking about them lately but have been "too busy" to call. I finally called them today and am really glad that I did.

They are both struggling with some health issues which I've known about for a few months but the Majors health has gotten far worse to the point that they are retiring early--at the end of July. While this news really broke my heart I know that they are long overdo for some much needed rest.

They will be retiring to St.Vincent where some local friends will be helping them. I am excited that they are returning to St.Vincent. I think it's a good decision.

This thirty minute conversation really put a few things into perspective for me. I've been sick this past week and am realizing that it's because I have been working myself too much. I am simply tired and worn out. While I tell my husband that I didn't choose to have two appointments at the same time the truth is that I revel in being so busy and feeling so needed. I need to take care of myself. That needs to be my priority. It doesn't mean I love my work any less or that I'm a slacker, but that I value my own health.

I called them today to hear some encouraging news. They are spirit filled people who always are full of joy and love. While the tone was a bit different today I still left the conversation feeling encouraged, just in a different way than usual.

Thank you, LORD, for great role models.

Now I want to go help them pack...and enjoy some time on their enchanted island with some friends!

No comments: