Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"Save-the-world-itis"

Georgia has so many strip clubs is really angers me. There are so many interstates running through Atlanta...so many truckers...so many desperate people. People are spiritually hungry. I really believe that we as the church aren't doing our job in "feeding" them because we aren't spiritually feeding ourselves...

It's just disgusting.

I met a stripper. She gets paid $7,000 a night to do her thing at the AFB here in town. Her husband is her manager. She wants to have another child, but can't do that until she finds a new job. The problem is that there is nothing else that will pay her even close to what she makes now with the "good" hours and she has no other training or skills.

This girl is young, beautiful and has tons of questions about God. She seems to be angry at Him for a very sad situation in her past, but she knows He's there and she keeps the questions coming. She's really keeping me on my toes. I love it and I love her.

The conversations I have had with her and will continue to have with her remind me that what I am exactly where God needs me to be. I am anxious to talk to her and we never have enough time to talk about everything.

In my neighborhood in Atlanta there are three strip clubs within walking distance. We went on a prayer walk last Friday night. As I was praying out loud the bouncers began to laugh as us which only made me pray louder. They eventually got quiet...they became silent. The ground in front of the strip club became Holy ground.

My brother Mike has said that I have "save-the-world-itis" and I do. I want to save everyone. I want to take the strippers and prostitutes off the streets and put them into a salvation factory. Same with the drug addicts, the homeless, and everyone else that society has forgotten, chooses to ignore, doesn't see, or won't commit sufficient funding or intelligence to to fix the sick problems of our society.

LORD, help me to be faithful and to love how you love.

No comments: