Thursday, November 5, 2009

"I want new friends, not old mirrors"

Above is a quote I read recently that really spoke to me. I am adjusting to life in a new city and am attempting to make friends out of my current "church only" social circle. I am also trying to "come up" with a hobby and think it would be great if my hobby included new friends who were not from my workplace/church/clique. I have made one friend, Tina, so far. I am working on it. I'm also a workaholic so if I have a hobby and friends who aren't associated with work...

This quote really made me think about who Jesus' friends were. He wasn't friends with those who were on his level theologically or intellectually, but was the friends of publicans, sinners, and fishermen. If we are to follow the example of Christ then we, too, should be friends with those who are different from us.

LORD, help me to follow your example and to love all people and to befriend those who have no friends--like John who is living in the bus stop.

No comments: