Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Homeless update

This is for all two of my fans who read this.

I have diligently been working with those who I need to work with to take care of my homeless friend. I have gathered a lot of information about his situation.

He suffers from schizophrenia. I was inaccurate about how long he's been on the streets--38 years--not the 30 like I originally gathered.

His designated payee collects his disability and has been since he was put on the street back in June. He was at a personal care home and they kicked him out.

I called several places and visited several agencies downtown to see what can be done. The problem is that there is not enough resources for homeless people in the city. I understand that some people have the capacity to not be homeless and are on the streets as a result of their own doing, but not everyone.

So who looks after them? Who takes care of them?

No one. And worse yet, no one cares.

John is one person. He is in a shelter and will be transitioning (hopefully) over to a longer term program within the same facility but this is only because I am quite familiar with the agency.

What about everyone else?

Someone told me today that my "save-the-world-itis" will eventually wear off, after all, I am still young.

I want to care. How can we as a society, as Christians, be so dull to the pain that is around us?

At any rate, John is safely inside tonight as the rain continues to pour out of the sky. Thank you, LORD for what you are teaching me in all of this.

No comments: