Thursday, November 5, 2009

Homelessness...a character trait of Atlanta

I have an issue with homelessness in Atlanta. Every large city has its homeless population, especially New York City where I lived before coming to Atlanta.

What really is bothering me about the homeless in Atlanta is that I feel like I can't do anything about it. I see the guys living under the bridges, I see John in the bus stop, I see the little tent city under the big tree next to my gym, and I see the lady living on the bench and what can I do about it?

My husband and I have befriended John, the gentle soul who lives in the bus stop closest to our home. We have taken him clothes, blankets, food, etc and have spent considerable time talking to him. He has had a hard life.

I have made a few phone calls, have spoken with a few people about getting John a place to stay. I have spoken to John about it and have told him that when he's ready we will gladly take him to wherever he needs to go, etc...(we don't want to force him).

He doesn't have a drug addiction issue and he isn't a vet. He's mentally ill.

So what can be done for him?

He's been homeless for practically 30 years. The day he graduated high school his parents drove him from his small Georgia town and dropped him off on the street in Atlanta. He's been homeless ever since. John has lived in and out of every shelter and transitional place in Atlanta and yet nothing has really "worked."

My husband called me a few days ago on his way to school to let me know that John wasn't in the bus stop and that all of his stuff was gone.

This morning as I was driving to work I looked over and noticed that John was back. I also noticed that his entire had nearly was wrapped in gauze.

I went over to talk to him and he told me he was beat up by...the COPS!!!!! It took a while for him to talk about it as he was really shaken up about it. They wanted him off the street but he didn't know where to go and this was the result. Even the hospital put him back on the street. A similar thing happened to him in July only he was locked up for five days and then put back on the street.

Where is justice in all of this?

I have had enough! I took John this afternoon to an emergency shelter that I have a connection with (after spoiling him at Wendy's) and am now on the quest to find something long term for him.

But John is one person. What about everyone else?

Homelessness in Atlanta really has me frustrated right now.

What would Jesus do in all of this? I thought about this the other day after I met with some people about what can be done (before John went missing) and felt that Jesus would invite John into his home, feed him a nice meal, and allow him to clean himself up. Obviously this isn't the safest thing to do, but would Jesus do it? Should we do it?

I called my husband and talked to him about inviting John over for dinner that night. That was the day he disappeared.

LORD, help me to LOVE John and to represent you well and LORD, please watch over all the people on the streets in this city tonight. Keep them safe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One thing you might want to know about is a program of First Step, an organization that places the able in employment and gets Social Security benefits for the mentally ill. They have a great track record of speed in this process.

While receiving monthly benefits isn't the "whole" answer, it DOES make possible enough money for a place to live--and it comes with Medicaid, so people like John can ger treatment and medications.

First Step is at 236 Auburn Avenue; phone is 404-577-3392