Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Faith & Politics

I know this blog is supposed to be about faith and fitness, but I want to write something as we witness unprecedented history today.

Why do people assume that just because I'm a Christian that I'm republican? When did "evangelical Christian" become hi-jacked with neo-conservative propaganda? I wonder if this is how black republicans feel.

I think that people should be free to vote for whoever they want to and that it should be their decision. Faith is a personal matter and while I think that it is important to teach "good morals" in our country I agree with the idea of separate church and state.


I believe the Bible teaches about love and tolerance. Pre-Christians will not be won to our faith by beating them with the Bible or by chasing them away. They will be won to our faith through relationship, through personal experience, and through love. Using religion as a crutch for politics is not how we fulfill the Great Commission. It does the opposite.

It's time that people become informed citizens and vote on the issues and the candidates. There are a lot of important decisions that need to be made for our country.

It is time that we put our individualistic mindset aside and work together. After all, we are all in this together.

1 comment:

Jason Rhymer said...

Mugs,

I totally agree. I am a Christian who voted for all 3 parties. I don't know every belief and stance for each of the parties, but I do know what Jesus said. I think if you just look at His words, they are honestly more Democratic than Republican. Just my 2 cents...thanks for posting this.

Jason Rhymer
www.christianstrengthtraining.com