Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Who Stole My Church? by Gordon MacDonald

Gordon MacDonald is coming to my church in a few weeks to lead a weekend retreat. I'm really looking forward to it.

In preparation for the weekend we've been asked to read one of his books, Who Stole My Church?

The book is written from the perspective of the author as he pastors a fictional church. A group of disgruntled members get together to discuss change in the church after a negative church meeting about upgrading some equipment. By the end of the book everyone, or just about everyone, gets along and is more accepting of change.

The book tackles the issues that we all know about but rarely speak about. It spends a lot of time talking about the worship wars and about how older people can relate to younger people in the church.

A group at my church met together to prepare for the weekend. We are going to have small group break out sessions when Dr.MacDonald is here led by older adults and younger adults. There was some really healthy discussion after the meeting and I realized that we were our own discovery group, just like in the book. It was encouraging.

The rest of the week there were conversations with employees, older church members, and other young adults about topics that the book covers. I felt like I was a character in the book all week.

I realized that change is all around us. Either we are going to accept it and pray for guidance to do the right thing with change, or we are going to resist it for our own comfort.

In the history of the Church the only thing that has remained constant is the Gospel. If that's our focus God will honor it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen Monica.. well stated :) Love you ..