Monday, January 3, 2011

Choosing to Cheat

I'm a workaholic.

Which means I'm not home a lot.

My loving husband and I discuss my time spent at work all the time. I love work so I don't mind being there. The problem is I also loving being at home but how I schedule my time says otherwise. I've been getting better but there is still room for improvement.

It's time for a change...

I've been reading "Choosing to Cheat" by Andy Stanley on my Kindle. Andy (my husband) had me listen to the Stanley leadership podcast on the same issue about a month ago and downloaded the book for my Kindle.

The book isn't the greatest in the world but it does have some great advice. The premise is that if you work too much you are cheating at home and vice versa.

The author gives the metaphor of a couple having a rock. The load of the rock is bearable if both people are helping to hold it. What happens is that when one person chooses to work too much (cheating at home) the other person is left holding the rock. They can hold the rock for a while but then it becomes heavy and eventually is dropped. The idea is to share the weight of the rock (i.e. balance). It's a good metaphor.

The book certainly provides some good things to think about. It's Andy Stanley's least popular and worst selling book ever. The topic is a good one, but a difficult one.

Do you choose to cheat?

No comments: