Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Life some days: diamonds in the rough

I ran the half marathon on Thanksgiving day. It went really well and I was happy with my time. I'm happy the rest of Thanksgiving weekend is over.

Sometimes in ministry things happen that really bless you and other times things that really break your heart. These past few days I've seen my share of heartbreak and I'm exhausted and worn out.

It's in these days that I'm reminded just how truly blessed I am.

Often times I give some of the homeless guys we work with a ride down to our main shelter since it's on my way home. Tonight I had the privilege of driving someone down there who is just a sweet, humble man. I work with a lot of homeless people and he's a little bit different than the rest. He recently had an accident on a construction site and has injured his right wrist. He is certain that his wrist isn't broken but we are going to try get him some medical help. He is just so thankful, uplifting and encouraging. He was a blessing to me today. I'm thankful that I'm healthy and can use both of my wrists without pain.

At dinner tonight I met a gentlemen who wanted to come and help with the homeless activities we have going on. We spent some time in conversation afterward and I learned that he, too, is homeless. He was so well dressed and put together that you would never expect him to be homeless. The difference between him and others is that he lives in his car and bounces to and from his friend's places. Oh--and he doesn't consider himself homeless. I'm thankful that I had the privilege to have a meaningful conversation with him.

Yesterday I found myself in the apartment of one of my employees (now former employee) who relapsed into drug use. As I sat there holding him as he cried my heart broke. I'm blessed that I don't struggle from that addiction. Hopefully he is on his way to healing and wholeness. He was clean for over two years.

We went to the Veterans Administration hospital and nursing home today to distribute Christmas gifts. There were soldiers there who were missing limbs and the psych ward will forever be etched in my memory. I'm blessed that I have my limbs and that I'm not living in a psychiatric hospital.

One of the volunteers with us (a member of our rehabilitation program) had a heart attack about an hour after we left the facility and died. I'm thankful that I have a functioning heart even if it breaks every now and again.

All in all the past couple of days have been rough. I know that God is in control and that there are diamonds in the rough...

No comments: