Friday, November 12, 2010

I'm a bad friend

So, it's true.

I'm a bad friend. The friends that are closest to me know it's true and they love me anyway. I'm awful at remembering birthdays and I don't often call. When they do come around while I'm at work there are always other people around taking my attention away.

I don't call because I'm ALWAYS busy. Always have been. Before I was engaged in constant, full-time ministry as a profession and calling I was a full-time graduate student and an employee. Before that I was a college student and employee. Before that I was heavily involved in my high school music program and involved with my church. Before that I was the parentified child in my household looking after my two younger siblings and taking care of my mom. I've always been busy.

Lately I've been trying to balance work (which I absolutely love) and being a wife who is available. Most of my friends live hundreds or thousands of miles away so we don't get together often or speak much. A couple of the really good friends have trekked to Atlanta to visit--one friend even twice already. Another two sets of friends are planning on coming in January.

I have good friends far away.

I have a very few good friends here in Atlanta, too. I still don't get together often with them, or call, or even facebook them.

One of my friends lost her job about three weeks ago. She came to work tonight to talk to me. She sent me a text when it happened and I totally missed it. She's been trying to get my attention since and I've missed it every time. Add to that her birthday was this past Tuesday. I utterly and totally forgot it. I have no excuse.

I'm a bad friend.

How do I fix it? I try to balance but there never is enough time for everyone and everything (welcome to adulthood, I know).

I've been so focused lately on work, on dealing with a situation with my sick mother back in Pennsylvania, and on having time for Andy that I have completely blocked out everyone else.

I'm sorry.

I have a 12 mile run in the morning as prep for the half marathon in two weeks. I can think about how to be a better friend during the run.

1 comment:

Cynthia (It All Changes) said...

((((Monica))))

I know the feeling and I'm sorry it is happening.