Thursday, October 8, 2009

New routine

I met with a "wellness coach" over a week ago now and we discussed some of my difficulties with working out and we talked about the weight that I've gained. After we came up with yet another plan I left the gym wondering--why do I feel like every time I move to somewhere new that my exercise habits have to change? Part of the answer is quite practical--they have to change. A new place with new responsibilities lead the need to be flexible with a past rigid workout plan, etc.

But what's really getting to me is that it seems like everyone else in the gym has a buddy to workout with and I don't. Now it's never bothered me before because unlike some other people in the gym I am not there to socialize...I am there to workout..or so I used to be until now.

Moving to Atlanta has been hard on me. I am adjusting to a new life and am adjusting to being far away from family and friends and while I've made a few friends in the three months that Andy and I have been here, they are all members of my church or are extensions of that church group. I am missing my non-churched-pre-christian conglomerate of friends.

In NY they were everywhere. Every now and again I could hang out with them or talk to them and not have to worry about work related things (I work for the church I attend) all the time. I don't have that luxury here...at least not yet and I am left wondering...what is the LORD teaching me in all of this?

So as I go to the gym I am also trying to build relationships. Ultimately I want to build relationships and live in a way that models the life of the LORD I follow, but I want to be able to do that in a way that is not defined only by my clergy title. Don't get me wrong, I love what I do and wouldn't trade it for the world. I really believe that it's a calling, but that doesn't mean that it isn't difficult from time to time--just like going to the gym.

So along with my new routine comes a new outlook on going to the gym.

No comments: